Police Arrest Ex-Prince Andrew Over Ties to Epstein

0
3
Police Arrest Ex-Prince Andrew Over Ties to Epstein
(FILES) Britain's Prince Andrew, Duke of York leaves after attending for the Royal Family's traditional Christmas Day service at St Mary Magdalene Church in Sandringham in eastern England, on December 25, 2023. UK police said February 19, 2026, officers were searching two addresses, one in eastern England and one west of London, following the arrest of ex-Prince Andrew on suspicion of misconduct in a public office. (Photo by Adrian DENNIS / AFP)

British police on Thursday arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, over suspicions of misconduct while in public office after being accused of sharing confidential information with sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew has consistently denied wrongdoing connected to his friendship with Epstein, but concerns about the relationship have continued to mount.

Unprecedented in Britain’s modern era, the arrest was a new blow for the ousted royal, who was marking his 66th birthday on Thursday.

Andrew was stripped of all his titles last year, having been forced out of his former home by his brother King Charles III.

With the Trump administration’s release of the Epstein files, additional information about Mountbatten-Windsor’s ties to the late financier have been revealed, even as his connections to Epstein have long impacted the royal family.

As part of the investigation into Andrew, “we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office,” Thames Valley police said in a statement, without naming the suspect, as is common practice in the UK.

Several UK media reported a fleet of unmarked cars, believed to be police vehicles, were seen arriving early Thursday at the Sandringham estate in eastern England where Andrew now resides.

New revelations last week appeared to show Andrew sent convicted US sex offender Epstein potentially confidential documents during his time as a UK trade envoy.

In 2019, the late Queen Elizabeth forced him to give up his royal duties after he gave an interview to the BBC where he tried to explain his ties to Epstein.

In a November 2010 email seen by AFP, Andrew appeared to share with Epstein reports on Vietnam, Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Singapore following an official visit to Asia.

The ex-royal, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, also reportedly sent the American financier details of the trip — on which he was accompanied by Epstein’s business associates — along with investment opportunities months later.

The former prince was eventually stripped of his titles after one of Epstein’s victims alleged she had been trafficked to have sex with him.

He has previously denied any wrongdoing in his associations with Epstein.

Charles has voiced “concern” over his brother’s actions and last week issued an unprecedented statement noting Buckingham Palace was “ready to support” the police in their inquiries.

Official guidance stipulates trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial or political information related to their official visits, the BBC has said.

Police said it was investigating reports that Mountbatten-Windsor sent confidential trade reports to Epstein in 2010, when he was Britain’s special envoy for international trade. The reports were part of the millions of documents released by the U.S. Department of Justice’s investigation into Epstein’s sex trafficking activity.

Thames Valley police confirmed that an investigation has been opened over misconduct in public office and said a man in his sixties had been arrested. Mountbatten-Windsor turned 66 on Thursday.

READ ALSO: Starmer rejects resignation calls over Epstein fallout

Law enforcement said the man they arrested remains in police custody, but as per national guidance, they would not be releasing the name of the individual.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

After the arrest, Charles issued a rare statement about his brother’s arrest and link to Epstein.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the statement said. “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” he continued. “As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Andrew, whose ties to Epstein have caused a spectacular years-long fall from grace, served as a British trade envoy for a decade from 2001.

At least nine separate UK police forces have confirmed they are assessing reports which appear to link the former prince to Epstein.

Police in Surrey, southeastern England, said Wednesday they had become “aware” of a redacted report alleging “human trafficking and sexual assaults on a minor” between 1994 and 1996 in the village of Virginia Water.

The report emerged in the latest tranche of millions of files released by the US justice department from the investigation into Epstein, who died in prison in 2019.

“After reviewing our systems using the limited information available to us, we found no evidence of these allegations being reported to Surrey Police,” its statement read.

“We therefore encourage anyone with information in relation to these allegations to report this to us.”

The statement did not name any individuals involved.

But it comes as high-profile figures, including former UK prime minister Gordon Brown, have urged police to probe dozens of flights dating back decades arriving at UK airports and tied to Epstein.

Writing in the New Statesman magazine last week, Brown said he had been “told privately that the investigations related to the former Prince Andrew did not properly check vital evidence of flights”.

“I have asked the police to look at this as part of the new inquiry,” he stated, adding it appeared “the authorities never knew what was happening”.

London’s Metropolitan police has also launched an investigation into the relationship between the UK’s former ambassador to Washington, Peter Mandelson, and the disgraced financier.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here